So you want to skate?
See you at the Shell. Both instructional lessons and informal drop-in opportunities are available in the historic space.
The Shell ice rink is currently closed. The track side of the Shell remains open.
Open Rec Skate is open to skaters who are at least 18 years old. Instruction by skating professionals during Rec Skate is prohibited. Our staff has the authority to stop any activity that may create safety or maintenance concerns. Skating direction is at the discretion of the staff on duty.
Stick and puck is a chance for players ages 18 and up to practice skills in a non-competitive setting. A helmet and gloves are required. Helmets can be rented from the front desk for $2. Goalies are welcome but competitive games are not allowed during stick and puck.
Open Hockey is a chance for players ages 18 and up to compete in pick-up hockey games. A helmet with a face cage and hockey gloves are required, and full hockey gear is recommended. Helmets can be rented from the front desk for $2. The first two goalies to arrive for each session will be admitted at no charge.
Join us on most Saturdays during the school year from 7 – 8:30pm for theme skate nights. Have an idea for a future theme? Let us know when you stop in to the rink.
Rink Fees & Skate Rentals
A valid Rec Well membership or photo ID card is required.
|Affiliate/Community with Rec Well Membership||$5|
|Affiliate/Community without Rec Well Membership||$6|
|Other students & children*||$4|
PURCHASE A SKATE PASS
*Due to COVID-19, all participants must be at least 18 years old.
A valid Rec Well membership or photo ID card is required. Skate rentals are available to all Shell ice rink users and can be purchased at the Shell Member Services Office.
|Unlimited Skate Rental Pass||$20/ semester, $30 / Fall + Spring|
Purchase a Skate Pass for unlimited access to our Open Rec Skate, Open Hockey, and Stick & Puck at the rink. Participants in Open Hockey and Stick & Puck must be at least 18 years of age. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Open Rec Hockey is suspended until further notice.
|Rec Well Member
|Non-Rec Well Member
Parking & Directions
- Metered parking on Monroe Street
- Lot 18 (located in front of the Shell): Parkmobile spaces; follow directions on signs in front of stalls to pay
- Lot 19 (near the UW Field House): Free after 4:30pm Monday – Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday
- Engineering Parking Ramp/Lot 17 (free on weekends)
- Lot 16 (3-minute walk): Permit required 24/7; any UW Lot Permit is valid after 4:30pm Monday – Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday
- Bike stalls are available in front of the Shell
- Moped parking available at Lot 690, 695, and 69
- Parking availability may be restricted without notice due to special events
- Convenient bus lines include the 3, 6, 7, 58, 80, 81, 82, and 84
- The nearest station is located at the corner of Breese Terrace and Regent Street or in front of Union South on Campus Drive