The practice of mindfulness has many physical and mental health benefits. Research has shown that a regular mindfulness practice increases resiliency, focus, awareness, and attention for the individual. With semesters full of academic and extracurricular obligations, plus the stressors and activities of everyday life, mindfulness is an important practice for students and members to slow down, connect with themselves, and set themselves up for success.
Our mindfulness offerings are built for all levels and include education about the different types of practice. Our goal is to help participants build a foundational practice they can continue to return to the rest of their lives.
Our in-person meditation classes are a time to unwind and focus on the present moment. We will incorporate elements of guided meditation, mindfulness, and relaxation practices. No previous meditation experience is required.
Classes are held in the Balance Studio at the Nicholas Recreation Center. Please bring your own mat (yoga, towel, etc.) to sit on during class.
- 6 – 6:30pm: June 9, July 7, July 28, August 25
- 7:30 – 8am: June 23, July 14, August 11
All classes are free but pre-registration is required. Students must be enrolled in summer classes or have a Summer Membership to register. Members must have an All-Access Membership to access the Nick.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
- Please plan ahead and check facility occupancy before you arrive at the Nick. If we are at full capacity when you arrive, you will need to wait in line to enter, even if you have a reservation for class.
- Meditation classes are free for Rec Well Members, however, there is a $5 late cancel/no-show fee if you register and do not cancel your registration at least 2 hours before class begins.
- You must pre-register for class at services.recwell.wisc.edu. Registration opens 48 hours in advance and closes 15 minutes before class begins. You may cancel your registration online up to 2 hours prior to the class start time. Cancelling after that will result in a $5 late cancel/no-show fee.
- A Rec Well employee will start checking in participants outside of the studio 10 minute before class begins. Once you’re checked in, you may enter the studio.
- Late entry will not be permitted and no exit/re-entry will be allowed after class has started. If you must leave due to an emergency, you will not be able to return to class
- Please bring your own mat (yoga, towel, etc) to sit on during class.
- Participants must be 18 years or older to participate in meditation classes.
- Please arrive on time for class; for the health and safety of all participants and employees, and to avoid interruptions, absolutely no late entries will be permitted and no exit/re-entry will be permitted after class has started.
- A minimum of three participants is required for all classes to be held.
- This is a no phone zone. Please avoid cell phone use while class is in session; if necessary, please make calls and texts outside of the room.
- The use of mobile technology at any time for photo or video purposes is strictly prohibited unless approved in advance by the Marketing & Communications department (click here to submit a Marketing & Media Request).
- Out of respect for the instructor and others, please avoid conversations while class is in session.