Chimera® (ky-MEER-ah) is a self-defense program which teaches awareness, assertiveness, and physical protection skills. We’ve partnered with the Rape Crisis Center to offer Chimera sessions at the Nicholas Recreation Center. Instructors emphasize safety and confidentiality throughout all courses.
Class meets once a week for six weeks and is open to all women and nonbinary people.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Chimera teaches that everyone has the right and ability to protect themselves. All techniques are easy to learn and use, and are designed to help the defender stop the attack and escape. Among other things, participants learn:
- Defenses against harassment and assault by acquaintances and strangers
- Defenses against multiple attackers
- Advanced ground techniques
- Strategies for dealing with armed attackers
- Protection in and around cars