Stay active and have fun with your friends, residence hall, Greek house, student org, campus department, or community group by taking advantage of the variety of resources we offer for rental and reservation. Please first read through our Rental Policies below and fill out the Event Request Form to start the reservation process.



Available rentals include gyms, outdoor spaces, studios, pool, equipment, ice rink, tennis courts, and more.

Submit Event Request Form


To reserve a court for open rec at Nielsen Tennis Stadium, please visit our tennis page or give us a call at (608) 262-8244, and select option 2. If you are looking to reserve the facility for a larger event, fill out the Event Request Form.


Step 1: Submit the online Event Request Form. Please allow three business days for us to respond to your request. Organizations must be free of unresolved issues related to prior use of facilities.

  • RSOs or university departments: Submit the request form at least two weeks prior to the date of the event. All RSOs must be in good standing with the Center for Leadership and Involvement.
  • Non-university affiliated organizations: Submit the request form at least four weeks prior to the date of the event.

Step 2: You may be contacted by the Events team to discuss details and logistics.

Step 3: Our team will compile the information and create a confirmation contract. The confirmation will be emailed to you to review, sign, and return. The event is officially scheduled when the following conditions are met:

  • The cost estimate is accepted by the requesting party
  • Confirmation contract is signed and returned no later than one week prior to event
  • If applicable, groups will also need to provide a certificate of insurance and/or sign a vending agreement

Step 4: After the event has occurred, our team will send an invoice. The account must be settled within 30 days. Specific instructions will be provided at that time.


This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Who can make an event reservation rental?

Registered student organizations (RSOs), university departments, and non-university affiliated organizations can make reservation requests.

How do I make an event reservation or rental?

Please refer to the rental process above.

Which facilities can I reserve for an event?

In general, reservation requests can be made for the Nicholas Recreation Center, Shell, Nielsen Tennis Stadium, Near West Fields, University Bay Fields, Near East Fields, and Cole Recreation Area.

When can I hold an event?

Events usually take place between Friday and Sunday.  The gyms are only available during these times.  In some cases, depending on the room requested, events may be held during the week.

How far in advance do I need to submit an Event Request Form?

  • RSOs or university departments: Submit the request form at least two weeks prior to the date of the event.
  • Non-university affiliated organizations: Submit the request form at least four weeks prior to the date of the event.

Can community members participate in my event?

People who are not students or affiliated with UW-Madison can only participate in events if the reserving group has secured the proper event insurance from Risk Management.

Can I hold a fundraiser?

Yes, however the type of fundraiser determines a few other things:

  • If the event is to strictly raise money for a charity and/or to cover the cost of the reservation, the reservation is straightforward and no complications arise.
  • If the event is to raise money for the profit of the group, event insurance is required and we reserve the right to decline the event or assume a percentage of the profit.

Am I required to have insurance?

Yes. Please refer to the insurance requirements below:

  1. Are you a Registered Student Organization (RSO) or university department?
    • YES: proceed to #2.
    • NO: proceed to #4.
  2. Are you charging any money for the event for any reason beside fundraising for a charity or covering the reservation cost?
    • YES: you must provide a certificate of insurance. Proceed to #5 and see criteria under #6.
    • NO: proceed to #3.
  3. Will you have any spectators or non-university affiliated participants at the event?
    • YES: you must provide a certificate of insurance. Proceed to #5 and see criteria under #6.
    • NO: you will only need to have each participant sign their own waiver. Waivers will be sent to you by our Events office once you’ve submitted your reservation request.
  4. Are you a non-university affiliated (third party) organization wishing to rent the facilities?
    • YES: you must provide a certificate of insurance. Proceed to #5 and see criteria under #6.
    • NO: you may be unable to rent facility space. Please contact if you have questions.
  5. Event Insurance – Does your RSO, department, or organization have insurance?
    • YES: please contact to provide Risk Management with a certificate of insurance.
    • NO: do you have insurance at the National Office level for your organization? You may purchase event insurance on your own; however, it must meet the criteria stated under #6 and a copy must be provided to Risk Management via email at
  6. Insurance Requirements
    • Commercial General Liability*: $2,000,000 Each Occurrence/Aggregate
    • Worker’s Compensation: Statutory

*The following Additional Insured language must be shown on the certificate of insurance and applied to both general and auto liability: The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System, its officers, agents and employees.

The Certificate Holder should read:

University of Wisconsin-Madison
Attn: Risk Management
21 North Park Street, Suite 5301
Madison, WI 53715