When & Where
The Nicholas Recreation Center (Nick) is the first major building project of the Master Plan. The name of the facility honors the late Ab Nicholas, his wife Nancy, and the Nicholas family. It’s home to 30,000 square feet of fitness space, 8 courts, 5 studios, a 50-meter pool and diving well, and more.
Hours of Operation
January 23 – May 14
|Day of the Week||Hours|
|Monday - Thursday||6am - Midnight|
|Friday||6am - 10pm|
|Saturday||8am - 10pm|
|Sunday||8am - Midnight|
|May 7||8am - 10pm|
|May 8 - 11||6am - 10pm|
|May 12||6am - 8pm|
|May 13 - 14||Closed|
Starting December 8, the women’s locker room will be closed every Thursday from 9 – 9:30am to allow for Facility Services staff to fix and prevent maintenance issues. Individual restrooms & showers will be available.
Check back in April 2023 for updated hours.
Check back in July 2023 for fall hours.
Check back in November 2023 for winter break hours.
Check back in January 2024 for spring break hours.
Live Building Usage
Nick Level 1 Fitness
Nick Level 2 Fitness
Nick Level 3 Fitness
Nick Power House
Nick Courts 1 & 2
Nick Courts 3-6
Nick Courts 7 & 8
See it for yourself
|Usable square footage||124,000||170,145|
|Gross square footage||192,170||240,560|
|Fitness square footage||8,500||30,400|
|Full-size basketball courts||4||8|
|Fitness studios/multipurpose studios||1 (4,600 sq. ft.)||5 (12,575 sq. ft.)|
|Pool short course lanes (maximum)||16||27|
|Pool spectator seating||None||1,000|
- 5 levels of activity space, all with abundant natural light
- 30,400 square feet dedicated to cardio and strength fitness spaces
- 8 full size basketball courts for multiple activities, including basketball, volleyball, badminton, futsal, and special events
- 5 multi-purpose studios to use for group fitness, indoor cycling, small group training programs, sport club practices, and student organizations
- Functional training sprint ramp leading up to a suspended threelane indoor track measuring one-sixth of a mile
- More than 300 day-use lockers throughout activity spaces with built-in locks to secure personal belongings and prevent theft
- Dedicated personal training suite for assessments and private consultations
- Multiple open areas throughout the facility to allow for stretching, core work, and functional training
- 2 racquetball courts
- Dedicated cycle room with theater-style audio, visual, and enhanced lighting
- 50-meter pool (convertible to two 25-yard pools) featuring 27 total possible short course lanes and 25-yard diving well
- Future home for the University of Wisconsin-Madison Swimming and Diving teams
- ADA accessible pool with operable pool floor allowing for zero-depth entry, shallow-water training, and competition lap swimming
- Private shower stalls in both men’s and women’s locker rooms
- All-gender and single-use bathrooms and showers
- Bathrooms on every level of the facility
- Fully ADA-accessible spaces, providing fitness opportunities for all users
- Multiple views within the facility of signature landmarks in Madison, including the State Capitol and Lake Mendota
Give to the Nicholas Recreation Center
Make your mark for generations of Badgers to come. The Nick has naming opportunities available. You can learn more here.