“Do you want to build a snowman?”
Or a pillow fort? No matter the season, there are plenty of ways you can stay active with your kids while having fun (Frozen soundtrack not required). Here are a few kid-approved, parent-friendly ideas for incorporating healthy habits into your child’s daily routine!
- Get cooking. Make a fruit pizza together for a colorful snack or get your little one(s) to help you decorate a fun treat like these apple ladybug bites. Being in the kitchen together is a great opportunity to talk to your kids about eating a balanced, healthy diet that will keep them fueled all day long.
- Take the splash. If your kids love being in the water, visiting a splash park is a fun and hassle-free way to cool off. During the summer months, find a local splash park, pack your sunscreen and a towel, and have fun.
- Go for a spin. Roller skating is a year-round favorite that gets you on your feet and moving! This timeless classic is great for skaters of all ages and skill levels. Pack in all the benefits of a great aerobic workout while rolling around the neighborhood.
- Put a twist on fitness. Staying active can also mean staying inside. Play a classic game like Twister or think outside of the box with an obstacle course built from cushions, pillows, or whatever you find laying around. Keep the energy levels high and your floor mess-free by timing how quickly you can put everything back.
- Enjoy the great outdoors. There are over 100 miles of trails to discover in the Madison region! Take in the sights and sounds of nature in a self-guided hike in the UW-Madison Arboretum or Aldo Leopold Nature Center. Local gardens like the Olbrich Botanical Gardens are also free and open daily, with seasonal events and classes for the whole family.
Whether it’s an afternoon spent in the kitchen or at a park together, small moments can add up in big ways! Physical activity can build confidence, self-esteem and cognitive skills for children. It also helps your child sleep better at night and strengthens muscle and bones. Enjoying little moments together is a simple way to lead a healthy and active lifestyle for the whole family!