We’ve got some exciting news! Bakke Recreation & Wellbeing Center is scheduled to open on April 24, pending any final changes to the construction schedule, on the site of the old Natatorium. We can’t wait for you to enjoy all the features of the new building such as spaces dedicated to wellbeing, tons of strength & cardio equipment, teaching kitchen, ice rink, sports simulators, rooftop fitness area, and more. We wanted to get you in the doors as soon as possible to experience Bakke; see below for more details when all spaces and offerings will be available.
With our spaces changing, we’ve also made changes to our membership structure to allow access to our state-of-the-art facilities for you at the best rates possible.
New Membership Tiers
Starting April 20, 2023 we will have three membership options at our facilities for non-students. Membership fees for enrolled students at UW-Madison are paid through their segregated fees.
- Campus Affiliate: open to UW-Madison faculty, staff, retirees, emeriti, and alumni
- Community: open to anyone 18 years or older
- Household Youth: open to dependents (younger than 18 years old) of Rec Well members or current UW-Madison students
All members receive discounted pricing for group fitness passes, skate passes, and other Rec Well programs & services such as massage therapy, instructional lessons, and youth programming, to name a few.
To learn more about rates, eligibility, and benefits explore our membership page.
Here’s What Else You Need to Know
- Group fitness classes, climbing wall, sports simulators, and additional programs will be unavailable at the Bakke until Summer or Fall 2023. Additional information about these Bakke offerings will be shared with you in the coming months.
- As of the Bakke opening date, Community Memberships will be available at the Nick & Bakke. Guests can purchase Community day passes, week passes, and monthly recurring memberships. View membership rates here.
Update on the Shell and Holt Fitness Center
With the welcoming of Bakke to our family & expanded membership options at the Nick & Bakke, we will be closing two of our current Rec Well facilities. There will be a transfer of ownership of the Camp Randall Sports Center (Shell) to UW Athletics. The Shell’s last day open is April 19, 2023. Members with Shell locker rentals will be emailed details regarding locker cleanout timelines in the coming weeks.
In addition, our temporary location on the upper floor of the Frank Holt Center in the Lakeshore neighborhood will be transitioned back to University Housing. The last day for Rec Well users to access the Holt Fitness Center will be April 2, 2023.
Once the Shell closes, members will have access to the Nicholas Recreation Center between 4/19 – 4/30, and the Bakke from 4/24 – 4/30, at no additional cost.